The MCTC Library supports all college curriculum through services and resources. The college librarians provide information literacy instruction and library instruction to students, upon request by faculty. Any faculty teaching ENG 101 or ENG 102 is required to arrange for information literacy instruction, per the MCTC Provost. KCTCS General Education Competency Statements and General Education Requirements include information literacy (a lifelong skillset used to find, evaluate and use information) and written/oral communication (skills used to find, analyze, evaluate, and cite pertinent primary and secondary sources, including academic databases, to prepare speeches and written texts).
Faculty are encouraged to incorporate information literacy and library instruction into courses to provide students with resources and services to support their educational needs. The following are services provided by the librarians to partner with faculty in advancing the college's mission.
- Library Chat Service available from multiple access points on the library website and throughout library guides and tutorials
- 24/7 availability of online access to 91 databases available through MCTC, Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) consortial resources and the Kentucky Virtual Library (KYVL)
- KCTCS Libraries Library Search is available to search for print books, e-books, e-journals, and streaming videos through a single search box, available from the library homepage and from various online library guides. Note: The Library Search box does not search ALL databases available.
- Access to multiple streaming video collections, including Films On Demand, PBS Video Collection via Alexandria Street, and Swank Digital Campus. Faculty may request individual film titles be purchased through Swank Digital Campus. The current videos available through this interface are available through the Swank Digital Campus link on the MCTC Library Resources page. If an instructor is using a feature film in class and would like to provide streaming access to a film not in this collection, contact Sonja Eads.
- Access to more than 25,000 print books at 4 campus libraries and more than 250,000 e-books.
- Access to computers and a printer at each campus library
- Face-to-face course-specific library instruction, as requested
- Synchronous or asynchronous recorded online library instruction, as requested
- Online library tutorials to support information literacy, developmental reading and writing
- Subject- and course-specific library guides (LibGuides) available online
- Course-specific library guides created upon request
- Embedded library resources and services in your Blackboard courses, i.e. Ask A Librarian e-mail assistance, library guides, library tutorials and quizzes
- Individual research consultations for students, as requested
- Course reserves available at each campus library, upon request
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services available
- 24/7 availability of Ask A Librarian e-mail assistance
- Library Services Referral available through Starfish in Blackboard to aid in student success
- Dual Credit library services can be customized, as requested (a Dual Credit Google Classroom page can also be used to support courses)
To request instruction or request a specific library service, e-mail the MCTC Director of Library Services, Sonja Eads, or Librarian, Carla Redden.
For more information about MCTC Library information literacy objectives, visit the MCTC Library Information Literacy webpage.